UK LIBERAL DEMOCRATS OVERSEAS 2020 STRATEGY
- Champion the needs of UK citizens living overseas within the UK party and by lobbying the UK government
- Contribute to promoting liberal democracy worldwide, in association with Liberal International.
- Increase the profile, membership, services and activities of Lib Dems living overseas.
CHAMPION THE NEEDS OF UK CITIZENS LIVING OVERSEAS
- Provide input from an overseas perspective to relevant Liberal Democrat policies.
- Develop policy proposals that directly support the unique needs of UK citizens living overseas.
o Pensions - the ‘unfreezing of overseas state pensions’ and building on the work undertaken in the 2019 Lib Dems in Europe and Lib Dems Overseas policy proposal paper.
o The right to vote in the UK elections for UK citizens living overseas – we are focussed on working to obtain and protect the right to vote for life
CONTRIBUTE TO PROMOTING LIBERAL DEMOCRACY WORLDWIDE
- Create a political diplomatic network of active Lib Dem members in as many countries as possible outside Europe.
- Current focus of activity is concentrated in the Asia-Pacific, including Afghanistan.
- Active participation in Liberal International as well as the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats in Europe (ALDE).
INCREASE THE PROFILE, MEMBERSHIP, SERVICES AND ACTIVITIES OF LIB DEMS LIVING OVERSEAS
- Use comprehensive communication tools and tactics to reach our members and share our activities with UK citizens overseas.
- Help grow the newly formed Liberal think tank ‘Paddy Ashdown Forum’ to develop strong Lib Dem policies and ideas.
- Provide ad-hoc Duty of Care to those members in need on request.